Whether you’re visiting Los Angeles for a day, a month, or any length of time in between, you want to ensure that you’re making the most of your stay. Los Angeles boasts a number of exciting attractions, and is a wonderful place for tourists to visit. However, as you may already be aware, navigating the city can be a challenge. This challenge has led to a number of alternative transportation resources, including a public rail system, on-demand ride services, and the popularity of 15 passenger vans for rent. Having a basic understanding of what makes Los Angeles a unique transportation city can help tourists know what to expect.
Geographically, Los Angeles is more spread out and less concentrated than many major world cities. It can sometimes take longer than expected to travel between locations that may appear to be relatively close to one another on a map.
Unlike many cities, Los Angeles was built around a system of highways best suited to motor vehicles, not public transit. This means that the city’s public transit system (specifically buses and trains) is far less developed than transit systems in other places, and visitors are often surprised by the lack of a reliable public transit infrastructure.
Los Angeles is comprised of many distinct neighborhoods, and while it does have a downtown area, there is no single “central” region. To move among different areas within L.A., private transit options such as taxis, 15 passenger vans for rent, and ridesharing services provide the quickest and most direct modes of travel.
The unique structure of Los Angeles is part of what makes it a fascinating, diverse, and worthwhile place to visit. By considering the top choices for transportation within the city, you can give yourself the advantage of more time, greater relaxation, and the best possible preparation for your trip. Here are a few of the best options for getting around L.A. as a tourist, including the positive and negative aspects of each.
With seven primary rail lines and 80 stations, the Los Angeles Metro Rail system forms a mass transit system extending to various neighborhoods in the city. Here are some of the pros and cons to using this transit option:
- Much like other group travel options, such as utilizing the Los Angeles Metro Bus system or taking advantage of 15 passenger vans for rent, the rail system is extremely cost effective, and provides a very inexpensive way to travel.
- Using the rail system can be a great way to avoid traffic, particularly during peak travel times within the city.
- Unfortunately, the Los Angeles Metro Rail system only includes limited destinations, and it may be difficult to find direct transit between locations.
- Because the infrastructure of the Metro Rail is so limited, travel can be very time consuming, especially if you end up needing to combine the rail system with transit via bus, taxi, or walking in order to get where you’re going.
- The Metro Rail system is not good for late night travel, and trains stop running after midnight or 2:00am depending on the location and night of the week.
A newer mode of urban transportation, Uber provides location-to-location ridesharing services, which can be requested by using an app on your smartphone. This mode of transit is similar to a taxi service, in that it involves a single car, driver, pick-up location, and destination. Like 15 passenger vans for rent or traditional taxis, this travel method uses the Los Angeles road system to get you to your destination as quickly as possible. In order to use Uber, you’ll need to have a smartphone with the downloaded app, along with your contact information and credit card details. A slightly more casual competitor of Uber is Lyft, which functions in much the same way via a dedicated smartphone app.
- For individuals traveling with a reliable smartphone, Uber can provide a very convenient travel option within L.A., since a driver will come to you wherever you’re located using GPS.
- Unlike public transit, this option provides the most direct route between locations, an especially important feature if you need to be someplace on time.
- As long as a willing driver is available and accepts your request, Uber can be used at anytime of the day or night.
- As mentioned earlier, Los Angeles is much more spread out than many cities. First-time visitors to L.A. are often surprised by how much time and distance there are between locations, particularly when heavy traffic is an issue. When traveling between different neighborhoods or areas of the city, Uber can end up being very expensive, especially during peak times when the cost is higher.
- Unlike other motor vehicle options, such as tour buses or 15 passenger vans for rent, Uber is generally not ideal for large groups. Most Uber vehicles are normal-sized sedans, and can accommodate only three or four passengers. While Uber does offer an Uber XL option featuring larger vehicles, this is often significantly more expensive, and costs can add up quickly over the course of your stay.
State Van Rental
- Passenger van rental is extremely convenient and comfortable for large groups. In Los Angeles, coordinating multiple vehicles can be difficult, especially when it comes to parking, communicating, and coordinating arrival times. With a large passenger van rental, you can streamline these processes, making the experience of touring L.A. as simple, relaxed, and enjoyable as possible.
- Unlike public transit or even on-demand ridesharing options, State Van Rental allows you to eliminate wait times. This is especially great for Los Angeles vacations, during which there are so many things to see and do, and time is often of the essence.
- By utilizing 15 passenger vans for rent from State Van Rental, you can stick to your itinerary effortlessly and conveniently. You have complete control of your departure times, locations, and schedule, at any time of the day or night.
- For many Los Angeles destinations, you may be interested in packing photography equipment, hiking or camping gear, or even a deluxe picnic for the beach. With a passenger van from State Van Rental, there’s plenty of extra cargo spacefor stowing whatever you desire.
- 15 passenger vans for rent can create a fun, communal atmosphere that may be distracting to the driver. Make sure you’re driving safely, following all traffic signs, and have reliable maps or a good navigation system in place to ensure security and relaxation. As an additional feature, many passenger vans from State Van Rental come equipped with a GPS system for your safety and convenience.
- In addition to being famous for its spectacular sightseeing opportunities, Los Angeles is also famous for its prohibitively traffic-heavy rush hours. If possible, it’s best to avoid driving during these periods from 8:00 to 10:00am, and 5:00 to 7:00pm.
- To effectively get around L.A. as a tourist, a good GPS system is essential. Inclusion with the vehicle is ideal, but if you’re traveling with a smartphone, you can use traffic-dodging GPS apps like Waze to get from one place to another. Navigation apps such as these utilize up-to-the-minute traffic data to guide you to your destination as quickly as possible. With 15 passenger vans for rent from State Van Rental, navigating the city is a breeze.
At State Van Rental, we’re dedicated to making your Los Angeles stay as relaxed, enjoyable, and memorable as possible. For more helpful tips on navigating Los Angeles as a tourist, or to discover our options for passenger van rentals, contact us anytime at (888) 318-6888 or (310) 641-7000. Our friendly customer service team looks forward to assisting you!
As an added bonus, we also want to make sure you’re receiving the best possible value for your trip. Click here to check out our current monthly specials for even greater savings. To learn more about our select fleet of vehicles, including 15 passenger vans for rent, or if you have specific questions about acquiring transportation for your upcoming trip, email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also click here to conveniently book a reservation online!